Velocipede Identification

Vragen, discussies en info over velocipède, hoge bi en safety.
Plaats reactie
Kurt S.

Velocipede Identification

Bericht door Kurt S. »

Hello all,

This is my first time on your forum, I am a relatively new bicycle enthusiast. I am from the United States and have been researching a velocipede I purchased in France.

My research started in New York, "The Monod" velocipede and has since taken me to Switzerland and France.

I am ascertaining it's manufacturer by a couple of unique features. The rear axle connection being the main determining factor in most of my inquiries.

I found a similar velocipede on the Sterba site, in their photo gallery. I have tried to contact them regarding these photos, however they have not replied to my inquiry. They list it as an "Unknown-Holland velocipede".

Afbeelding[/URL]

Afbeelding[/URL]

Is anyone familiar with this particular velocipede?

My most sincere gratitude and thanks, Kurt S.
maartenB
Contacteer:

Re: Velocipede Identification

Bericht door maartenB »

Hi Kurt,
Do you have the Claude Reynaud books? (velocipede illustre 1 & 2)
Otherwise I will check them for you but I am sure Sterba did so already.
And please post some pics of your own bicycle, not the Sterba bike, it's really the details of your own bicycle that matter.

cheers,
Maarten
Meer weten over een specifiek merk of model hoge bi of safety van voor 1895? http://www.antique-bicycles.net
Kurt S.

Bericht door Kurt S. »

Hello Maarten,

I do not have those two books, if you could check it would be great.

The details of my velocipede are lacking, as I only have the frame and fork. However, the details of those are the same with the exception to the brake spring mount and the cord eyelet. Mine does not have those. On mine it appears a name badge may have existed on the uppermost part of the neck.

My research started with the Mercer & Monod because of the rear axle connection, it is quite unique. That velocipede according to historical accounts was first produced in October of 1868. This seems to be prior to velocipede manufacturing in Holland.

In reading Hollands velo history, Burgers was the first manufacturer in late 1869. I'm sure that's not including blacksmith made velocipedes prior to that time.

So I'm hoping to follow my leads in Switzerland and France. But still wish to track down the whereabouts of the velocipede featured in the gallery of photos of the Sterba site.

I have no idea if it is privately held or part of a museum collection.

Again my most sincere thanks, Kurt
maartenB
Contacteer:

Bericht door maartenB »

Kurt,
It would be a pleasure to look for clues on your Velocipede (remains) but I need pictures of your bike, not of Sterba's.
He is very able to do his own homework.

And there were indeed boneshakers made in Holland before Burgers started. He started late 68 or early 69.
cheers,
Maarten
Meer weten over een specifiek merk of model hoge bi of safety van voor 1895? http://www.antique-bicycles.net
Kurt S.

Bericht door Kurt S. »

Maarten,

This is very kind of you!

The 1st photo shows where it appears a name badge may have been attached, possibly soldiered to the upper part of the neck, there is an oval spot where the original paint, the brick red, was preserved quite well.

The second photo, a close up of the fork, has only a remnant of the mud guard. There is an imprint of the same on the opposite side. It is made of two flat pieces of metal with a small rectangular piece in between.

The last photo is of the rear axle connection, the front axle connection is obviously missing.

Again thanks, Kurt

Afbeelding[/URL]

Afbeelding[/URL]

Afbeelding[/URL]

Afbeelding[/URL]

Afbeelding[/URL]
maartenB
Contacteer:

Bericht door maartenB »

Hi Kurt,
I went through my books and pictures. Nothing, I am sorry.
In this case, I doubt very much that its Dutch. Of course Burgers had the little mudguard, and as a consequence nearly all blacksmiths in holland copied this, when making their own bicycles.
But The Dutch bicycles I know never have a brake or footrest, which is logical, since we have no mountains here.
And the mudguards were all a bit Burgers-style, see picture. (that's mine)

Sorry I cant help you any further, please post something if ever you find out more about it.
Cheers,
Maarten
Bijlagen
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg (133.22 KiB) 7784 keer bekeken
Kurt S.

Bericht door Kurt S. »

Maarten,

Really appreciate your efforts in helping me. Sometimes just the process of elimination can be the most useful. At least I hope it is, as I seem to do a lot of it.

Looks as though you have a real nice velo there.

No brakes, that's the way to ride um!

Super nice chatting with you Maarten, and again my most sincere thanks, Kurt
Plaats reactie